Discuss 50/50 Floorboards Concrete room. Not level! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,
So I’ve decided to tile my mums kitchen for her. Never tiled before so please bare with me.
I’ve done my research and was feeling quite confident that I could get the job done.
Firstly I removed all of the fake (tiled look) wooden floor. Underneath, I’ve found a few issues that I’m going to need to address. One being water damaged floorboards that I will be able to replace, And the other being the reason I’ve posted this thread. My mum had a wall knocked down to extend the kitchen 15 years ago. So under the kitchens wooden floor, I’ve found that half of the room is floorboards (in really good condition and flat, apart from the couple of water damaged ones)
And the other half of the room is concrete, which initially I was happy about, because I know it’s easier to tile on concrete. The problem I’ve noticed is the concrete doesn’t meet the floorboards evenly. It’s skewed, and I know how important it is to have an even floor when tiling. On one side of the room they are level with each other, and on the other there is roughly a 1cm Step up to the concrete. I’ve attached some pictures to give a better idea of what it looks like. Any help with how I could tackle this issue will be greatly appreciated! Thankyou in advance. Any more information needed, let me know!

CB900A0A-7FA9-409D-A84E-1DEDAA1EB1C5.jpeg

674DED2C-6C05-4D0E-A55F-CF675E384810.jpeg

941F278A-3BF0-4A5D-BFD1-714D894D5B26.jpeg

Reaction score
Good morning,
You shouldn't really tile straight onto the floor boards so, put a 'no more ply' type backer board down on these.
They come in different thicknesses to suit.
Then, use leveler on the concrete to bring the whole floor flat.
Important :Do prime the leverler before tiling.
You could also do with an expansion strip /soft joint on the wood & concrete thresh hold.
Or, lay some Idrobuild or similar down across that area.
Hope this helps

Reply to 50/50 Floorboards Concrete room. Not level! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks