Discuss 22mm tile board availability? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Gez

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a DIY'er having stripped my bathroom back to joists and nearly ready to lay the floor.
My preference was to use 22mm NoMorePly or GIFAfloor boards direct to the joists and then tile direct to the boards, but I understand NMP is no longer available in UK? I've seen references to GIFAfloor but I cannot identify a stockist.
Does anyone have suggestions for sourcing 22mm board?
Alternatively my backup plan would be to lay 18mm WBP ply, using the largest size I can to reduce joins, with 6mm HardiBacker used as per their on-line video, then tile.
Lastly, the tiles will be 600x300 porcelain tiles, covering max 6m2. What adhesive and grout would you recommend?

Reaction score
You could use 18 mm marine plywood cutting it to suit your floor joist then cover with a backer board other than hardiebacker something like delta or jacko board all depends on what is available to you where you live.Has for your adhesive choice a flexible adhesive is the best option either a fast setting one or standard one this depends on how quick you can lay the floor tiles once you've mixed your adhesive,& your grout should be flexible also

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
These 22mm backer boards are always recommended but are not readily available.

Add trimmers at 300mm centres and lay 18 or 22mm moisture resistant chipboard.
Over lay with either 6mm Hardie or 10mm Delta boards or similar glued and screwed and tile over.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above 22mm No more ply is a tongue and grooved tile backer cement board . Kop

Screenshot_20190505-071729_Chrome.jpg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I prefer Hardie to NMP.

I find it too brittle and having to countersink the edges when screwing it down to stop the edges splitting is just an added hassle.

H

hmtiling

Personally I prefer Hardie to NMP.

I find it too brittle and having to countersink the edges when screwing it down to stop the edges splitting is just an added hassle.
The 12 and 22mm aren't as brittle as the 6mm. Very similar to hardie

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Things to consider is cost vs overboarding and also time. Taking up the whole existing floor to replace with 22mm NMP will cost more than over boarding with 6mm hardie.
Overboarding will increase the height slightly more obviously but this isn’t usually a big issue

Reply to 22mm tile board availability? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks