Discuss 20mm Thick external porcelain, best adhesives and expansion joints in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Im about to embark on an external 20mm thick porcelain project 600x900's , I plan to use Bio gel no limits for laying has anyone used this before pros / cons

I also plan to brace the expansion joints in the screed with a strip of uncoupling membrane to act as a movement joint, thoughts ?

TIA

J

J Sid

S1 adhesive would be fine
Movement joints ever 3 Mt's I believe for external plus if there is an expansion joint in screed follow it through tiles.
Check the falls are correct

O

Old Mod

I also plan to brace the expansion joints in the screed with a strip of uncoupling membrane to act as a movement joint, thoughts ?

TIA

Sorry if I’m misreading this,
Do you mean you’re covering the expansion joints with a strip of matting?

As Julian says above, if there are joints in the screed, then there should be the same joint in the tiles.

Expansion joints should not be covered.

Reaction score
I get that expansion joints should be followed through the screed to the tile.
But I cannot find a 20mm deep stainless steel external grade movement joint.

Does anyone know where I could purchase one?

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Kerakoll have a full system for external patios, I have attached a data sheet. This system makes expansion joints very easy. Basically lay a traditional sharp sand and cement screed over your sub base and include expansion joints, apply Kerakoll Green Pro decoupling, but do not cover expansion, tile but grout nearest joint to expansion with silicone. All items available from TileFix;

Call Karl at Kerakoll for more info 07799 70‬3378

Attachments

• System_C8_update.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Reaction score
I get that expansion joints should be followed through the screed to the tile.
But I cannot find a 20mm deep stainless steel external grade movement joint.

Does anyone know where I could purchase one?

Dural do stainless steel movement joints up to 50mm deep. Give them a call to find a local stockist.

Reply to 20mm Thick external porcelain, best adhesives and expansion joints in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks