Discuss 2 different sub floors problem! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello, I am wishing to have tiles right through house into kitchen diner, there is quarry tiles in the hall and kitchen but a wood floor in dining and living room.

I have had people say to ply over it all but am worried about future problems with tiles popping etc..

Can anyone please advise what is best? I’d rather not have to rip up all the tiles but if it’s the only solution? I have attached some photos, thanks, Karl.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screed over the lot and tile that?

Reaction score
Worried about moisture coming up as under quarry tiles is no damp proof membrane, if I seal the tiles with something I’m thinking that might force its way through and damage tiles etc

Reaction score
Would a paintable dpm with Ardex NA over the top be a solution ? I'm unsure whether you can tile direct to a bituminous paint but fairly sure the Ardex can be used over it.

Reaction score
Think that sounds good to me Steve, I think it’s one of those where it may be ok but it may not be! I was on the lines you suggest but wanted more opinions, frustrating hehe!

Reaction score
Caveat: This is just how I'd do it but I'm not a professional tiler, just an enthusiast who's done some courses and is an avid DIY'er.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You cant tile over old quarries without a substantial new sub base on top. They will be on old lime mortar or hardcore and will move. Best thing take them up or screed over the top. If no DPM is present a paint on DPM is unsuitable as these are only designed for residual moisture suppression and not rising damp.. ardex NA is a good product but I do not think its designed for this type of work. You'll need a movement Joint where the 2 substrates meet. No getting away from that. It's a job you either want to bodge on the cheap which means you dont need advice or you want to do it properly in which case you should not tile on old quarries and the timber needs attention.

Reaction score
You cant tile over old quarries without a substantial new sub base on top. They will be on old lime mortar or hardcore and will move. Best thing take them up or screed over the top. If no DPM is present a paint on DPM is unsuitable as these are only designed for residual moisture suppression and not rising damp.. ardex NA is a good product but I do not think its designed for this type of work. You'll need a movement Joint where the 2 substrates meet. No getting away from that. It's a job you either want to bodge on the cheap which means you dont need advice or you want to do it properly in which case you should not tile on old quarries and the timber needs attention.
[automerge]1590531771[/automerge]
Yeah i get what your saying, I don’t want to bodge it’s my house, the quarry’s has tiles on them I’ve just chiselers them off, ceramic. All ok no damp, but may need to self level slightly to meet wooden floor which is wood glued onto concrete I presume, not suspended. Could I put a rubber expansion joint right across where wood meets quarry? Ideally yes I’d love to have it dig up and concreted but at what cost? It’s definitely not a diy job it’s also lived in by me and kids, just want one floor surface I’d vinyl down but think tiling should be better, more breathable

Reply to 2 different sub floors problem! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks