Discuss 2 cracked tiles on a new bathroom refurb - advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I had my bathroom refurbished 5 weeks ago and I’ve just noticed that there’s a hairline crack going through 2 tiles and the grout line in-between. I don’t think this was there when it was completed but I’ve noticed it now as I’ve just had my first bath so it could have been like this for weeks.

The tiles are 30x10cm flat metro tiles. The 2 cracked tiles are on hardiebacker board that was fitted as part of the refurb. However, the tiler told me he was going to use extra adhesive on the side of this wall to pack it out to avoid having small tile cuts in the alcove next to it. Therefore, about where the cracks are is where it transitions from hardiebacker to a thicker layer of tile adhesive.

I suspect the cracks are caused by the thicker layer of adhesive. What's the likely cause, shrinkage? movement?

See the pictures below, one of them shows the gap in the alcove that would have needed the extra adhesive.

How to fix this issue, swap the 2 tiles out? Can anything be done to avoid this reoccurring?

Appreciate any advice.

1.jpg

1607677974216.png

1607677586212.jpeg

Lynton

-
Reaction score
Is the bath moving? Those tiles are right on the bath, could have been caused by movement in the bath tub when it’s being used.

Reaction score
I had my bathroom refurbished 5 weeks ago and I’ve just noticed that there’s a hairline crack going through 2 tiles and the grout line in-between. I don’t think this was there when it was completed but I’ve noticed it now as I’ve just had my first bath so it could have been like this for weeks.

The tiles are 30x10cm flat metro tiles. The 2 cracked tiles are on hardiebacker board that was fitted as part of the refurb. However, the tiler told me he was going to use extra adhesive on the side of this wall to pack it out to avoid having small tile cuts in the alcove next to it. Therefore, about where the cracks are is where it transitions from hardiebacker to a thicker layer of tile adhesive.

I suspect the cracks are caused by the thicker layer of adhesive. What's the likely cause, shrinkage? movement?

See the pictures below, one of them shows the gap in the alcove that would have needed the extra adhesive.

How to fix this issue, swap the 2 tiles out? Can anything be done to avoid this reoccurring?

Appreciate any advice.

View attachment 113717

View attachment 113720

View attachment 113719 did they use paste adhesive, or cement based, as building up beyond their tollerance with either can cause adhesive to shrink and cause cracking in the tiles.

Reply to 2 cracked tiles on a new bathroom refurb - advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks