Discuss 18mm cement board UHF in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

shongu

Hi everyone. Id need advice asap.;) They called me to do a travertine floor. They put 18mm cement board uhf onto a primed concrete floor with flexi adh. Some of these boards were still moving (I think not enough adhesive under), so the next day they drilled and screwed them to the concrete. We would need to put 600x600 12mm traventine on top.
The floor needs some levelling and we want to use ditra on top. Is it possible lay slc onto these boards? Also they came with plastic parts where the pipes return would the slc stick to that? Any advice would be much appreciated. I just don't want to do something isn't right.

F

Flintstone

What is the brand of ufh? What is the surface on the boards ? 18mm seems very thin, for a wet underfloor heating sysytem? I assume that’s what you mean

S

shongu

The system called warm board. It's 18mm cement board with 12mm pipes.
The surface is pretty much like hardie backer.

20180120_164134.jpg

D

Dumbo

I spoke to tile master about this very same system earier this week . They said prime ,level minimum 5mm then tile.
Just as a side note , I was speaking to warm board tech also and ended up calling him . Dishonest ,deceitful and that their fitting instructions were ambiguous.
Sorry I missed out if boards are screwed down to use anticrack Matt on top of levelling .
What part of the country are you from ?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shongu

We are in London. Doing the job in Notting Hill. Plumber who put it down a bit clueless I think. I just don't want it to fail. We specified to put ditra on it. Did not say levelling but we really should.
Should we use primer G for priming as usual gypsum surfaces?
We should pour it tomorrow so in bit of a rush. Warm board does not know what goes with what.

D

Dumbo

We are in London. Doing the job in Notting Hill. Plumber who put it down a bit clueless I think. I just don't want it to fail. We specified to put ditra on it. Did not say levelling but we really should.
Should we use primer G for priming as usual gypsum surfaces?
We should pour it tomorrow so in bit of a rush. Warm board does not know what goes with what.
Phone tilemaster first thing. Bear in mind when priming pipe returns are non porous . Also tell them panels are screwed down .

D

Dumbo

The trouble with these systems is they are sold to plumbers, Builders and householders who don't understand that the tiler should of been involved from the get go to give their perspective of the job and what we require to get a quality long lasting job , ie tiler should of gone in levelled the floor prior to any panels being laid .

F

Flintstone

If they are gypsum then you can’t use a cement based leveller. I find when plumbers use tile adhesive to stick things down, they don’t prime, they don’t mix it or spread it right, and they probably don’t even sweep up first! Hence your loose boards

S

shongu

I think that is exactly what's happened.
The floor was primed but they used a 6mm plastic trowel to put it down and did not fill properly underneath. When they realized it didn't stick they started screwing the loose areas

D

Dumbo

I think that is exactly what's happened.
The floor was primed but they used a 6mm plastic trowel to put it down and did not fill properly underneath. When they realized it didn't stick they started screwing the loose areas
It is designed as a floating system , and you now how we all love those .

B

Bill

To be fair, the last one I did with these boards, the boars were only screwed down onto 22mm ply but there have been no issues at all.

The manufacturer stated that they could be tiled straight onto with a flexible adhesive and that's what I did. I used a Norcross one too, so I think that so long as you prime them sufficiently, a quality flexi addy and you will be fine.

The correct commisioning of the heating is ultra important to the success of the tiles keeping their bond.

This is the stuff I used, over 2 years now

https://www.tileexperience.co.uk/co...s-rapid-porcelain-tile-adhesive-grey-20kg.png

But with stone, you will need to use crack mat.

Reply to 18mm cement board UHF in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks