Discuss 150x900mm floor tiles - 2mm grout and 50:50 pattern in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Builders have installed 15x 900mm tiles with a 2mm pattern and 50:50 brick effect.

They suggested 2mm (I previously suggested 4mm), I probably suggested 50:50, but did not know that grout / pattern effected anything but aesthetics.

There is now widespread lippage due to what I am told is warpage in the tiles which is within tolerance. Have the builders messed up by using 2mm and 50:50 (and not strongly recommending against it?)? There unfortunately is no real fix to it, being a 50sqm job.

Thanks

David

Reaction score
If they are significantly bowed then to ensure against lippage the overlap should be reduced to, say, 1/4 of the plank length.
To be honest I usually think this shape of tile look best with a staggered, non-repeated overlap (often achieved by using the off cut from one end to start the next row - but with cheating where necessary!

Clipping/lashing the tiles is an option too, or a combination of that and the above.

Reaction score
If they are significantly bowed then to ensure against lippage the overlap should be reduced to, say, 1/4 of the plank length.
To be honest I usually think this shape of tile look best with a staggered, non-repeated overlap (often achieved by using the off cut from one end to start the next row - but with cheating where necessary!

Clipping/lashing the tiles is an option too, or a combination of that and the above.
Thanks very much Ben, yes I believe these are all things that should have been considered, but what I am trying to ascertain is should the installers have insisted or at least recommended the 3mm (a BS standard I believe) and the staggered effect? It is unfortunately too late to fix it I believe. I want to know if I should be paying them the full amount, I think they should have followed standards.

Should everyone follow the BS standard of 3mm and does everyone know about it? Is that a stupid question!?

Thanks

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
Although BS recommend a 3mm minimum joint for floors I think a 2mm joint looks much better for plank tiles. As suggested, the levelling clips do help reduce lips.
Most plank tile boxes advise that the tiles should not be installed in a 50:50 pattern and that no more than a 25% offset should be used. If you have a box or the packaging remaining, take a look and see if fitting suggestions are stated. You could then have a conversation with your installer to attempt a compromise.

Reaction score
Although BS recommend a 3mm minimum joint for floors I think a 2mm joint looks much better for plank tiles. As suggested, the levelling clips do help reduce lips.
Most plank tile boxes advise that the tiles should not be installed in a 50:50 pattern and that no more than a 25% offset should be used. If you have a box or the packaging remaining, take a look and see if fitting suggestions are stated. You could then have a conversation with your installer to attempt a compromise.
Thanks Hobnob, I agree the 2mm joint probably does look tidier, but not with the lippage we have.

Would you still have the discussion with client about 2mm vs 3mm and 50:50 pattern (and the impact on lippage) before installing? We had no such conversation which is the real issue I think. Unfortunately I don't think my installers will accept any responsibility on their part.

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
When a client asks for a 50:50 pattern I always put two tiles together, face to face, to see if there is much of a bow. I also check the boxes to see if the manufacturer has stated not to do half bond. Armed with that knowledge I will discuss laying patterns with the client so that we are both going to be happy with the outcome.

In my opinion, the difference between 2mm and 3mm grout width will do very little to alleviate lippage.

Reaction score
When a client asks for a 50:50 pattern I always put two tiles together, face to face, to see if there is much of a bow. I also check the boxes to see if the manufacturer has stated not to do half bond. Armed with that knowledge I will discuss laying patterns with the client so that we are both going to be happy with the outcome.

In my opinion, the difference between 2mm and 3mm grout width will do very little to alleviate lippage.
Thanks Hobnob. Your insight has been helpful.

So, I suppose in this instance, without the box warning them about the pattern and possibly inconsistent/not hugely significant bowing (I don't think they checked until they started laying, and it is not obvious in all tiles) they may not have had a red flag to move away from the 50:50 (although I still think they should have suggested I didn't use it from the start).

All in, I'm sure they meant well, but I don't know why they did the 50:50, I probably suggested it as the obvious pattern, I can't remember, but I didn't know about bowing/lippage until after the install. I had no strong feelings vs staggered. I just wish they had had a bit more knowledge about this all to avoid this.

It seems the fault lies somewhere between the boxes not providing the warning, and the fitters not being knowledgeable enough about the patterns. Unfortunately I am the one left with the expensive job and the uneven tiles.

Reply to 150x900mm floor tiles - 2mm grout and 50:50 pattern in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks