Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Been tile for awhile now and have had good feedback from customers on jobs done however im not that busy all the time and the cost of an nvq seems high. I only do domestic work so would i need it or is it just if you work on site? plus if i do can i offset the cost against my tax? Any advise would be much appreciated guys.

OP
B

Benny

Iam a Construction Skills Certification Scheme card holder and if you havent got an NVQ in floor and wall tile it will not state it on the reverse of the card and you will be unable to do that job on site, the reverse side of the card gives your registration number and what trade your qualified in and on some of the more reputable sites this is checked even now.:yes::yes::yes:

OP
T

The D

So an NVQ is the only way to prove your a competent wall and floor tiler?? :frown2:
I think he means that if someone dose not know you personally then they can tell by the fact that you are NVQ qualified that you are competent to do the job. But then again I know NVQ tilers that are complete Muppets but I know what he means :thumbsup:

OP
D

DHTiling

I think he means that if someone dose not know you personally then they can tell by the fact that you are NVQ qualified that you are competent to do the job. But then again I know NVQ tilers that are complete Muppets but I know what he means :thumbsup:

You have an NVQ don't you....:lol:

OP
T

tiler burden

the nvq is a certificate...
alot depends on who taught you the syllabus,
your own standards
and more importantly how proficient you are in each category

the idea is good, the way its achieved in some cases needed rectifying!!!

one thing i can definately see is that nicky campbell from watch dog saying', why doesnt the customer get more protection form organisations? how come you need an nvq for sites but any joe can walk in your home unqualified with no formal vetting???

nvq by 2010 might not be applicable but you can bet your rubi ts60 it will be!!
everyone will jump on the band wagon. public liability ins companies will be the first...
now then mr jones, have you got an nvq to prove your cmpetence, no , ok your premium will be a grand a year because you are a risk!!! you heard it here 1st

OP
F

Fekin

everyone will jump on the band wagon. public liability ins companies will be the first...
now then mr jones, have you got an nvq to prove your cmpetence, no , ok your premium will be a grand a year because you are a risk!!! you heard it here 1st

If that happens then all you'll find is more and more people not bothering to have insurance.

OP
F

Fred

This is a bit of scare-mongering by some 'so-called' tile training centres who just want to get tilers through their doors to make even more money. Do you think the average private punter will understand this? Especially when you've been recommended by a previous punter, they just want a good job. tile isn't like gas/corgi as an example, yes do a correct job, but I can't see how they can govern this, can you?

I, for one, am C&G trained. So, my C&G stands for nothing in 2010? NVQ used to be site and college trained, now these private tile centres can knock out an NVQ in 2-3 weeks training............something is very wrong here. IMO.

OP
D

DHTiling

This is a bit of scare-mongering by some 'so-called' tile training centres who just want to get tilers through their doors to make even more money. Do you think the average private punter will understand this? Especially when you've been recommended by a previous punter, they just want a good job. tile isn't like gas/corgi as an example, yes do a correct job, but I can't see how they can govern this, can you?

I, for one, am C&G trained. So, my C&G stands for nothing in 2010? NVQ used to be site and college trained, now these private tile centres can knock out an NVQ in 2-3 weeks training............something is very wrong here. IMO.

It takes longer than that fred.....

Orginally posted by chasetiling
It normally takes 12 weeks to complete, unless more site visits are required to gather more performance evidence to satisfy the performance criteria. You have 2 years to complete it.

If you have taken part in some form of accredited training, such as a Level 1 NOCN or ASET, then 12 weeks is a very realistic target to get your NVQ2 done, maybe sooner.

However, if you have acheived an ICA, then you can get your NVQ2 in 20 weeks from the day you finished the course, maybe sooner. THIS IS BY FAR THE QUICKEST WAY FOR A PERSON TO GET THEIR NVQ2, WHO HAS NO OR LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE.

OP
T

The D

It takes longer than that fred.....
I have not seen the rest of this thread so I my be talking out of turn hearer but you stated if you have achieved an ICA, then you can get your NVQ2 in 20 weeks from the day you finished the course, maybe sooner. THIS IS BY FAR THE QUICKEST WAY FOR A PERSON TO GET THEIR NVQ2, WHO HAS NO OR LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE.
Now you can correct me if I am wrong but ALL the evidence required for NVQ has to be site evidence and CAN NOT BE SIMULATED it also has to show competence in each element and not that you have don that job on just one occasion. A testimony from a trusted employer and a site visit or two will do the job but were I am getting confused is how can you accredit someone with an NVQ if they have LITTLE OR NO experience in the trade?

OP
D

DHTiling

I have not seen the rest of this thread so I my be talking out of turn hearer but you stated if you have achieved an ICA, then you can get your NVQ2 in 20 weeks from the day you finished the course, maybe sooner. THIS IS BY FAR THE QUICKEST WAY FOR A PERSON TO GET THEIR NVQ2, WHO HAS NO OR LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE.
Now you can correct me if I am wrong but ALL the evidence required for NVQ has to be site evidence and CAN NOT BE SIMULATED it also has to show competence in each element and not that you have don that job on just one occasion. A testimony from a trusted employer and a site visit or two will do the job but were I am getting confused is how can you accredit someone with an NVQ if they have LITTLE OR NO experience in the trade?

My qoute was from a thread by Chasetiling and if you have any questions that you are not clear on ( which i thought you might know with bieng an A1 assessor as you put it) then contact Ant at chase and ask him directly...

Address Information:

Chase tile Academy and Construction Assessment Group
The Cannock Chase Enterprise Centre
Block 3, Unit 307,
Walkers Rise,
Hednesford
WS12 0QU
Telephone:
(01543) 424205

OP
T

The D

I do know the answer as you said I am an assessor. I will contact your sponsor but it would be nice for them to post there answer or are they just misleading people as you have accused me of doing but I am not the one saying I can give NVQ’s to people who have no site experience’s I will also rise the question with the LSC and the TTA

OP
D

DHTiling

I do know the answer as you said I am an assessor. I will contact your sponsor but it would be nice for them to post there answer or are they just misleading people as you have accused me of doing but I am not the one saying I can give NVQ’s to people who have no site experience’s I will also rise the question with the LSC and the TTA

Please come back and let us know your findings and some literature would be good for all to see...:thumbsup:

OP
C

ChaseTiling

Hi Deanotile,

Your more than welcome to ask me any questions via phone or even better, face to face here at our centre about how to achieve your NVQ in 20 weeks (after your 6 week ICA). I will be more than happy to show you how it is achieved.

Our systems, processes and standards are all accredited by City & Guilds. This stems from the CAA at Bircham Newton, through our EV (who coincidently gave us a 'B' grade for his FIRST quality assurance visit), and our external IV.

Just a point, at the last CAA seminar I attended, they stressed that it is one of the CAA's main objectives to ensure that all assessors, IV's & EV's worked in harmony with each other to ensure an overal aim - student and participant success. Where do you fit into all this?

OP
C

ChaseTiling

And furthermore, the LSC and the TTA directly have nothing to do with City & Guild Qualifications and how they are delivered and achieved.

But you should know that?

;)

LSC - Funding & promoting learning
TTA - An independant organisation that assures quality and promotes tile throughout the industry - based on the City & Guilds curriculum model & best practice.

Reply to Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock