Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Been tile for awhile now and have had good feedback from customers on jobs done however im not that busy all the time and the cost of an nvq seems high. I only do domestic work so would i need it or is it just if you work on site? plus if i do can i offset the cost against my tax? Any advise would be much appreciated guys.

OP
S

Stan001

I dunno Graham, you could well be right mate – or for exactly the scenario you state it could go 100% the other way. For example, right now I can get hold of trades to work on my house or on a self build and I know they are pretty much at the same spec as the guys working on non-domestics, in fact probably better. But when the site work all comes back and the government insist only qualified (whether that be NVQ2 of whatever for tile fixers) people are allowed on sites then I have to make sure that I’m getting hold of someone good and not someone who is bidding for my work only because he cant get on site. Whether ‘good’ means ‘qualified’ is a whole different discussion thread, but the only way Joe Public and self builders are going to be able to see (and I bet self builders get classified as site within 5 years – and I think they accounted for over 25% of new builds in Britain before the economy went flip) is to ask to see some form of qualifications card. Quite honestly we all need to think bigger and not internally like this little island mentality. We complain like mad about the Polish etc coming here, but guess what, those guys will be the first going back to college to get their NVQ2 and coming back to the UK (when the recession ends) whilst we are all still moaning about it down the pub! I worked in Germany for 3 years, the standards of construction over there IMHO is general massively higher than over here, everything from how something is specified to how something is done to spec. (they had the equivalent of Part P, Part E, Part M etc years ago) We little Brits need to open our eyes and get with the program and not ignore it.

OP
M

mags

originally posted by essex tile
it is a fact , you will not be able to get your cscs card without one and you will find it harder and harder to get on site or into domestic households without your nvq level 2 by 2010. At the moment the government is backing this and is offering funding for un qualified people to gain their nvq level 2. The funding is through train to gain and as long as you dont have any previous qualifications and under 5 gcses then it will be free of charge. Good luck and get qualified
any idea of the cost, for someone like myself, i have a levels so wont qualify for the funding, i also have a full time job as well as the tile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

forget that, found a cscs test centre not too far from me, £25.00 for the test only, the missus can get me a copy of the study book from work gratis.

swearing removed.

Sorry about the language its makes me mad .

Anyway as i said why should someone who has a moderate inteligence and worked hard at school , not get subsdies from the government whne mr thicko does. Doesnt seem fair to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

John the tile

my story -

ive done my ever so easy cscs card exam 3 years on the trot and each time my card was renewed for 1 year (exactly the same exam). think i paid about £25 each time .

Then i passed my nvq and so when i phoned up to book my next test as my cscs was running out, they said no exam we now send you out a cscs card and you dont have to do the exam anymore and its valid for 5 years...

sound

Diamond Pool Finishers

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just recieved my CSCS card in the post this morning and it is wite with gray band's it also has a smart chip in it,to reduce the number of fraudulent CSCS card's in circulation and a bit worrying it say's this smart chip may also be used for other application's ( sound's a bit big brother aaaaa )????? oh it's also expires in 2015 so there!!!:thumbsup: who need an NVQ :8::8::8:

OP
M

mikethetile

my story -

ive done my ever so easy cscs card exam 3 years on the trot and each time my card was renewed for 1 year (exactly the same exam). think i paid about £25 each time .

Then i passed my nvq and so when i phoned up to book my next test as my cscs was running out, they said no exam we now send you out a cscs card and you dont have to do the exam anymore and its valid for 5 years...

sound
you will still need to take the H&S test in 5 yrs to renew your card

OP
A

airjacobs

Both interesting comments there, and both very right. Training centre's are fidning it hard to get the right accreditation. You'll find most of the good ones have some backing from a governing body.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
U

Unsi

I have been informed that you can take a tile course and do tile jobs etc around houses/offices and once you have had around 5 years experience you can then contact an NVQ assesor who will come and asses your work and you then build up a portfolio of photographs/references and write ups of your work and you can then be NVQ qualfied.

I then also hear they are "rebranding" the NVQ name to somthing else so I don't know what to believe. City and Guilds confirmed the above, So I am going to take a 4 day tile course and build my experience up and then arrange to be assessed for an NVQ as I am already full time employed as a floor layer and do not have the time to attend an day NVQ course as I am in work the same time the courses are ran.

Reply to Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock