Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Show Us YOUR Work Thread - Tilers Pictures in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Crikey! Not the answer I expected, thought maybe grinder, cutting as you've described must take some skill great work! Thanks for the response

Hi pro-handyman , if you put a tile - finshed side down - underneath the tile you're scribing it will turn easier as you scribe.
I did a little vid a while ago to show how i do it with a bit of odd tile. Wrong BB I know but as you asked I'll pop the link in here.
I did it on my TXN 1200

YouTube - Cutting a curve in a tile on flatbed cutter

Hope it helps

Diggy

I

Ian

U

user123

That is truly amazing! Just out of interest, how long would it take you to complete a piece of work like this from start to finish?

Thank you Brian :) as to how long... you know, I really prefer not having deadlines - if someone said do this in a week I'd really struggle, as this is not something you can do 8 hours a day, the creative stamina is a different thing all together - there is not one piece in that that has been automatically or just mechanically put down or cut, there is so much in there. Kilty was the perfect customer, he knew I had to go and look after my Mum, he paid 50% up front no problem to show his commitment, I showed him progress photos, so he knew it was happening. And when I realized that the line beween the darker top and lighter bottom half of the fish had gone slightly too high, I took it all off again and started again. I just finished the background today, but have been working on a charity piece, too, this is my favoured kind of working, nip in and out of the studio, often work in the evening.. and I forgot to make a note of the hours. Also I used the double reverse method on this fish, which I really like it, and gave it a sculpted body, all issues which change with every project. To be able to work at an artistically comfortable speed I'd say three weeks would be plenty, but to have a patient customer like Kilty who understands that this kind of results is better achieved slowly was wonderful. Not knowing much about fish I really researched other pictures, too, how they look when wet, what kind of underwater landscape they live in, what the fins look like in the water - as on the photo they were out of the water and flat, and I wanted to make him look alive! Also it took me a while to find materials I had never used not thought of before, like the copper rods in the fins etc, all that takes time. If I had to do a fish again now I would be faster, as I know more about these things now.

Phew.. does that answer your question? :lol:

I

Ian

Thank you Brian :) as to how long... you know, I really prefer not having deadlines - if someone said do this in a week I'd really struggle, as this is not something you can do 8 hours a day, the creative stamina is a different thing all together - there is not one piece in that that has been automatically or just mechanically put down or cut, there is so much in there. Kilty was the perfect customer, he knew I had to go and look after my Mum, he paid 50% up front no problem to show his commitment, I showed him progress photos, so he knew it was happening. And when I realized that the line beween the darker top and lighter bottom half of the fish had gone slightly too high, I took it all off again and started again. I just finished the background today, but have been working on a charity piece, too, this is my favoured kind of working, nip in and out of the studio, often work in the evening.. and I forgot to make a note of the hours. Also I used the double reverse method on this fish, which I really like it, and gave it a sculpted body, all issues which change with every project. To be able to work at an artistically comfortable speed I'd say three weeks would be plenty, but to have a patient customer like Kilty who understands that this kind of results is better achieved slowly was wonderful. Not knowing much about fish I really researched other pictures, too, how they look when wet, what kind of underwater landscape they live in, what the fins look like in the water - as on the photo they were out of the water and flat, and I wanted to make him look alive! Also it took me a while to find materials I had never used not thought of before, like the copper rods in the fins etc, all that takes time. If I had to do a fish again now I would be faster, as I know more about these things now.

Phew.. does that answer your question? :lol:

Perfectly! I can't begin to express the admiration I have for work like this. I know that I could spend a 1000 hours on a piece like this and it'd still have to go in the bin! You should get an MBE or something!

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
scun-thorpe utd toilet block,

Attachments

• glanford park 005.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 40
  • glanford park 003.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 44
  • glanford park 004.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 43
  • glanford park 001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 45
  • glanford park 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 50
D

DHTiling

Just got these pics today from the customer , B&Q polished porcelain in 60x60 and kitchen fitted by Strummerman.

polished porcelain2.JPG polished porcelain3.JPG

Reply to Show Us YOUR Work Thread - Tilers Pictures in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks