Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Uk Pro Tiling Training - Tiling Courses (formerly Nett) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Last edited:
B

bignose

Re: North East tile Training - Tyne and Wear

I did the 4 day tile and the 1 day natural stone in August 2008. I've been tile on a part time basis ever since earning reasonable money and enjoying it (almost) all of the time.

The finding of work is usually an issue and I have tried most of the methods mentioned on these boards. Local paper advertising is expensive and not terribly productive but IMO probably necessary to get your name known (marketing). Since I'm not full time a sign written van isnt financially viable. The best sources of work are definately reccomendations from existing customers and other trades. I have a friendly kitchen fitter but have fallen out with a plumber so need to recruit another !

The NETT course will give you a thorough grounding but be realistic about your goals early on as some jobs won't be for you and a good reputation will take a while. There will be times when a job takes longer than you thought but just bite the bullet and get it right, it will pay you in the end.

The main reason for this post is to give an example of the type of work you can do after Darrens brilliant course and a little experience..............

I got a call after being reccomended by my kitchen fitter mate and visited the customer. He had a bathroom to complete and the original tiler that quoted hadnt turned up and wouldnt answer his phone. Dolphin had quoted £38k for the complete job !!!! but he had fitted the room out himself with quality fittings re boarded the walls himself, tanked the wetroom area etc etc..

So I quoted to........ Supply and fit 40 sq mtrs of 9mm thick porcelain tiles to the walls and floors. Supply approx 30 linear metres of chromed trims and all adhesives and anti bacterial grout and silicone. There was UFH but that was supposed to be down when I arrived (it wasn't and I did it). There were 20 x 20mm holes to cut and 30 pieces of the chrome trim to fit.

Anyway the job was completed, much to the customers delight and he even paid me extra without me asking. My point (finally) is that you CAN reach this standard but don't run before you learn to walk this really should not be your first job. Good luck.

A

Abc77

just to say i did the 9 day tile course at NETT aswell as the 5 day plastering and plumbing courses and they were all excellent, very well structured and easy to understand and pick up, all the tutors and staff are very friendly and know their stuff. I would recommend NETT to anybody looking to do a tile , plastering and/or plumbing course. Darren and all his team at NETT are great and they all make the courses and NETT what it is :thumbsup:

LeRoy

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mart08

Completed the plumbing coarse nearly 2 weeks ago and only wish i'd done it sooner, the team at NETT are all really friendly and the knowledge i came away with was brilliant. The coarse has already paid for itself in the extra work i've now completed and have i've already got one of my mates interested in doing the coarse too. Thanks again Darren for the extra info and to Tracy and Colin. Another happy customer.

L

lee1383

Hi everyone, just finished the 9 day course at NETT and really enjoyed it.The course is well organised and professionally run with no time wasted and i would highly recomend it to anyone wishing to train up as a tiler.In the first week there is a lot of info to take in but everthing is backed up with printed notes so you can go over it as many times as you need and Darren is always happy to answer any questions you may have.As well as learning about all the various types of tiles and adhesives etc Darren also gives loads of advise on starting up on your own and how to run a successful business.I've attached some pics of my own handy work to give you an idea of some of the work on the course and i'd just like to say thanks to Darren n Tracey for all their help and advice.

Attachments

• Image0276.jpg
    Image0276.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Image0289.jpg
    Image0289.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Image0284.jpg
    Image0284.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 106

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi LEE
Thanks for the words, must say you work was excellent, just shows what standard can be achieved in a couple of weeks, did you take a photo of the victorian / geometric tile you done
Regards
Darren

L

lee1383

Hi Darren victorian / geometric pic attached.
Regards Lee

Attachments

• Image0286.jpg
    Image0286.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 99

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Lee, just shows what can be achieved with a simple tile cut into pieces, plays with your eyes a bit
Regards
Darren

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi all, due to the expansion of our company and our new 10,000, square foot unit

North East tile Training (NETT) is now trading as UK Trades Training)

We cover courses in tile, Plastering, Plumbing, Kitchen Fitting, Bricklaying, Electrics and Painting and Decorating

The new name is more appropriate to our business, all our new courses run with the same standards and course content as the tile course which we have ran for over 7 years now and created many successfull tilers who are still on this forum today from all those years ago.

Hope everyone is OK from the past and look forward to meeting new learners looking for a career in the trades

Best Regards
Darren :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Dan
Same website just changed the name we are trading under as tile is too specific for what we do now, ive still put a sort of strap line under so as people kno we are still the same company as North East tile Training, dont want to loose my identity and reputation that we have built up over the years.

Any chance you could do a new sponsored banner for me saying UK TRADES TRAINING like our web banner and say NETT under it so people still know on here who we are and the feedback on here still relates to us
Im sure you can come up with something
Darren

T

Time's Ran Out

All the good industries of yesteryear had their bases in the North East.
You can't beat tradition.

U

user123

All the very best wishes in the new place, Darren - and may all your most ambitious dreams come true :)

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks Guys
Hope everything is going well Dale in Spain, not missing home yet, the answer is probably no
Best of luck over there
Regards
Darren

Reply to Uk Pro Tiling Training - Tiling Courses (formerly Nett) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock