Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss straightening walls prior to tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Deleted member 52728

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Expert advise please you wonderful people.
is it right that if a wall is tiled to an existing bathroom wall or walls, it is the duty of the installer/tiler to ensure that the wall is perfectly true and level? I assumed that old properties with leaning walls were simply tiled that way so long as the tile was sound, wall sound, flat and level?

OP
W

WetSaw

A lot depends on what the client is paying for and what expectations they have. Flat isn't necessarily plumb or square. If the client wants everything perfect then the prep has to be done first.

OP
O

Old Mod

Could you be more specific as to the problem, your question appears a little ambiguous I’m afraid.
What you’ve mentioned is two completely different scenarios.
Thank you.

OP
D

Deleted member 52728

Sorry I’m new to these forums.
Was asked to undertake 3 bathrooms in an Edwardian house. No specifications or special conditions, it was a case of he supplied all bathroom products including tiles, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ etc and I price to fit them. One wall has nothing on it except a towel rail radiator which was adjusted on the brackets to be perfectly plumb as the wall was flat but leaning about 40mm from top to bottom with ceiling height of about 2.8m.
Client is saying that he expected every wall to be perfectly plumb even though he is well aware that most walls within his house built in 1903 are not.
I’m just seeking advise or clarification on my responsibility as a bathroom fitter as it’s getting quite scary

OP
O

Old Mod

I don’t believe BS5385 states that walls have to be plumb, obviously I stand to be corrected, but it does state that tile lips and flatness of a wall must fall within certain guidelines.
If a two metre level is placed on a surface on top of a 3mm packer, a 6mm packer must not pass beneath.
As far as lips are concerned, it’s about joint width, up to 1mm I believe for 3mm joints.
The info is contained within the forum, try search engine at top of the page.
Maybe @Paul C. can recall the details from memory.
..... no need to apologise.
It’s just easier for the correct advice to be given if we have the whole story.

And welcome to the forum. :)

OP
D

Deleted member 52728

Thanks again everyone.
Tile lipping is not an issue, all walls look great, it’s just the leaning wall in a house which has suffered subsidence.

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Subsidence hmmm that's a whole different sinario has the cause been addressed ? I would not be straightening that wall and fitting tiles to it unless it has, it could definitely come back to haunt you and it will all be your fault of course ;) , cover your arse get the relevent paperwork in place that if the wall moves and the tile fails then there's no comback on you . Kop

Reply to straightening walls prior to tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock