Discuss Laying Brazilian Sate in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy

TF
Reaction score
Hi there Newbie here , I have a couple of questions for you guys / girls , Firstly is it possible to lay Brazilian slate tiles straight into sharp sand that’s been levelled and whacked down , Secondly which grout do you use and thirdly what to use to give a wet look too the tiles , I’ve read dozens of threads on interweb but all conflicting my head is well and truly battered many thanks for any help Andy

D

Dumbo

Do you mean sand and cement or just sand ,
Grout wise probably bal flexible wide joint grey grout .

You can put a topical sealer on to make them shine but this is not great as it wears dull , basically if you want something shiny buy something shiny , sows ears and silk purses etc ,

T

Time's Ran Out

Assuming it’s exterior and they are 50mm thick yes lay in sand!
No need to grout as it will fall out as the tiles/paviors move and nothing will stay shiny outside for very long.

Andy

TF
Reaction score
Do you mean sand and cement or just sand ,
Grout wise probably bal flexible wide joint grey grout .

You can put a topical sealer on to make them shine but this is not great as it wears dull , basically if you want something shiny buy something shiny , sows ears and silk purses etc ,
Hi it’s just sharp sand , and yes ya Ryt about silk purse n sows ears ,, I’m thinking it’s one big mess at present, cheers

B

Bill

To get a gloss finish, try a masonry varnish - did loads of slate in the eighties with a fashion to have a gloss look. It works.

D

Dumbo

Already has I recon , any tips on how to rectify the problem ? Would be greatly appreciated, cheers
Let's just clarify. When you say is it possible what you mean is you or someone has done it and how can you fix it ? Is that right

Andy

TF
Reaction score
Yes I was told to lay them on compacted sharp sand which I did now some are moving I now realise I was badly informed, Not trying to lay the blame at anyone else’s door but mine , could just do with some professional advice as how to rectify the situation, cheers
IMG_9072.jpg

Reply to Laying Brazilian Sate in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks