Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Best best for tiling course in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Deleted member 52609

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
New to this page.
Looking to take up tile as a new career.
Can anyone recommend the best place to go to for a tile course in UK.
Thanks in advance.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tiling Courses - Wall & Floor Tiling Training Courses NVQ 1,2 & 3 - https://www.tiling-courses.co.uk/ - UK Pro tile Training
Their FEEDBACK THREAD can be found by clicking those words.

They do short courses mainly but can help direct you to get your NVQ.

A lot of people have done a few short courses with them, done their own bathrooms, done their friends and family, got a website and some listings on Facebook and whatnot, and got into the trade and started earning money.

Then they'll give you contact details for reps and things, who will also help with courses and training. And keep you up to speed ongoing.

But there's also the college route, Leeds College of Building I think are the daddies in the field. My local college sucks with all construction industry training. The investment just isn't there locally. So perhaps check your college too. But those can take a while to complete.

You an also perhaps find a local tile company and see if you can to your NVQ whilst actually learning the trade physically out in the field.

I'm sure the guys on the forum will chip in too. I don't tile, it has to be said. :)

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
I don't know where you are in the country but Burnley College seem to be getting a decent local reputation and I am informed they are running City&Guilds Level 1 & 2 next year. Also these courses come with the addition of the world famous Tilemaster support at no extra cost.;)

OP
D

Deleted member 52609

I don't know where you are in the country but Burnley College seem to be getting a decent local reputation and I am informed they are running City&Guilds Level 1 & 2 next year. Also these courses come with the addition of the world famous Tilemaster support at no extra cost.;)

I’m based In mid Wales

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
I don't know of anything in your area, you might need to travel to Birmingham for a serious tile course. Colleges don't get the returns they want from a tile course so investment in them is low or non existence. Good luck with your search it will be worth it once you are qualified and up too speed, and somebody on here might know of a course near you.

CAL

-
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to get into tile also. I have completed Introduction & NVQ Level 1 at Accrington & Rossendale College for only ÂŁ180.00 for 12 week course. It was very good value for money, but mainly focused on wall installation for bathrooms.

I am considering UK Pro tile but concerned that the training is not to the national standard - as they charge a nice fee.

As anybody on here been to UK Pro tile & would they recommend this training to a new starter ?

Reaction score
I did a 2-week course at UK Pro tile training last year. I'm still in touch with others from the same course. The two who do this full-time now are fully booked with work.

axlgod

TF
Reaction score
I did a 2-week course at UK Pro tile training last year. I'm still in touch with others from the same course. The two who do this full-time now are fully booked with work.

Hi Steve, I’m thinking about doing the UK Pro tile course (actually been thinking about it awhile now) , but it’s becoming more serious as I’m not getting any younger & I definitely would like a career change.
If you could give me a heads up of what to expect etc.. that would be very helpful.

thanks.

...sorry to hijack the thread!

Reaction score
Hi Steve, I’m thinking about doing the UK Pro tile course (actually been thinking about it awhile now) , but it’s becoming more serious as I’m not getting any younger & I definitely would like a career change.
If you could give me a heads up of what to expect etc.. that would be very helpful.

thanks.

...sorry to hijack the thread!

It's full-on, but there's a lot to fit in. The courses are basically 4-day modules which are 95% hands-on practical work, plus an optional 1-day theory course on natural stone and the marketing/selling/business side of things (I recommend you do this).
The days are quite long and lunch is usually a working one. 8 0'clock starts and you finish when you get where you need to be - I think 6 pm was my latest.
I did the 2-week course but do the 3 week if you can, as it builds on the work you've already done, and the people I spoke to on the 3-week rated it highly. On week 3 you're given a photograph of the desired result, which is a kitchen mockup to be tiled in herringbone, into window reveals and boxed-in pipework etc.
Week one you're tile a bathroom mockup. The walls aren't square, the window reveal is out of level. You tile around a sink and a square box on the wall, which you may have to build out, and then you'll fit plastic trims with hand cut 3-way mitres. You also cover setting out of floors and walls.
Lots of other stuff on the 2-week couse. Intro to Impey wetroom trays, uncoupling membranes, prep work etc etc. Too much to remember which is why you get the pages and pages of notes.
Darren's done some YouTube videos where you'll see the bays you'll work in and the projects you'll complete.

axlgod

TF
Reaction score
It's full-on, but there's a lot to fit in. The courses are basically 4-day modules which are 95% hands-on practical work, plus an optional 1-day theory course on natural stone and the marketing/selling/business side of things (I recommend you do this).
The days are quite long and lunch is usually a working one. 8 0'clock starts and you finish when you get where you need to be - I think 6 pm was my latest.
I did the 2-week course but do the 3 week if you can, as it builds on the work you've already done, and the people I spoke to on the 3-week rated it highly. On week 3 you're given a photograph of the desired result, which is a kitchen mockup to be tiled in herringbone, into window reveals and boxed-in pipework etc.
Week one you're tile a bathroom mockup. The walls aren't square, the window reveal is out of level. You tile around a sink and a square box on the wall, which you may have to build out, and then you'll fit plastic trims with hand cut 3-way mitres. You also cover setting out of floors and walls.
Lots of other stuff on the 2-week couse. Intro to Impey wetroom trays, uncoupling membranes, prep work etc etc. Too much to remember which is why you get the pages and pages of notes.
Darren's done some YouTube videos where you'll see the bays you'll work in and the projects you'll complete.

that sounds good!

...so after completing the course, where are you now regarding tile?

Reaction score
I'm not doing it professionally yet. My current job, from which I retire any day now, prohibits me from any outside business interests. I help friends with floor and wall tile.

Reply to Best best for tiling course in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock